Saturday, June 14, 2003

ACQUAINTANCE PARTY


I've been back to school for a week already. Er, actually.. I'm not even supposed to be online because I have to rewrite A LOT of notes and read my books. In med school, everything is so fast-paced and there is really no room for dilly-dallying. But still, some good things should be shared and not just kept to oneself. ^___^

The week was busy, but what really occupied my mind (and many of my classmates' minds) was the acquaintance party. Our class were in charge of organizing it, and we realized that it really is a lot of work! x__X I was put in charge of the finances (I collect money and do the budget) and so I guess my classmates think I'm trustworthy and I'm good with numbers.. LOL But I also helped with the program and also a bit with the decors. We've been having meetings even before classes started, but it was during the week that everything was set into motion. Everyone was just so busy.

We had the party yesterday, and I can proudly say that it was a success. We had a spooky kind of theme, since it was Friday the 13th, and so the place was all filled with jack-o-lanterns, voodoo dolls (I actually made one during our overnight stay at my classmate's house. It was a fat, smiling doll that looked like a male, but they dressed it up in pink and called it the fairy godmother. o__O It was also the only doll they didn't put "blood" on. I guess it's because the he/she doll looked too cheerful and wholesome. LOL I'm really bad at sewing.), spiders, tombstones, ghouls, cobwebs etc etc. Of course all decors were just stuffs we made ourselves and not really the real thing. LOL Those who had a big role in the program were in costumes, and most of us (and also the freshmen and juniors) wore black. Anyway, the program went (almost) smoothly, the food was (almost) good, the place was (just) fine, and everyone (seems like they) had a good time. And of course, there was no problem at all with the money! *grins*

The party started around 5PM. We had a little "initiation" for the freshmen, which is actually a tradition in our college acquaintance parties to emphasize "working together with your classmates and the upperclassmen to overcome the challenges of med school". Then after welcoming the first year and playing that cheesy song "Go The Distance" (from the Hercules animation) (Hey, I actually like that song.. *sings* "I will go the distance till I find where I belong..." ^__^), we had the program proper. We had some speeches, then the first year students introduced themselves, after which we had dinner (which I really wasn't able to appreciate that much because I had to eat quickly to do some preparations).

After dinner was our class' presentation. We did a reenactment of Meteor Garden, and so that explains my part in the presentation because I was the one with the MG/F4 collection. The opening part was an introduction of the characters where "Sean Chai" and each of the "F-Poor" strutted across the stage carrying his/her character's name and picture (coutesy of the posters that are being sold everywhere). The members of the F-Poor were the following:

Dao Ming Se --> Da Ming Shoes (translation: many shoes)
Hua Ze Lei --> Wa Tu Lei (translation: uncircumcised ^___^)
Mei Zuo --> Pitso (translation: chicken thigh)
Xi Men --> Se Men (translation: er, the male fluid secretion.. ^o^;;)
and of course, San Chai --> Sean Chai (because our female classmate's name was Sean).

After they showed their names, they sat on the floor, their backs turned to the audience, and a classmate held up a blue board that says "SUTURE GARDEN" and another classmate held a "meteor", which Sean Chai pointed at. It was a clumsy imitation of MG's opening. *grins* Then they had a reenactment of that scene where Hua Ze Lei and San Chai were caught kissing in the beach by Dao Ming Se. And what was funny there besides their acting, was that it was "dubbed" (like the MG in local TV). So that means, the actors onstage were just moving their mouths in an exagerrated manner, while other classmates spoke their lines in a funny manner. The script was also in our local dialect, and so it sounded like a drama in the radio. LOL It was totally hilarious! After that short acting, the F-Poor did some poses and a short dance of "Oh Baby Baby" (Jue Bu Neng Shi Qi Ni/Can't Lose You) since it's the most popular and overplayed song these days. It was very funny cos they flipped their hairs a lot and their dancing was... OK just forget it! ^___^ And by the way, our top two honor students played Da Ming Shoes and Pitso. It really surprised us that our top student in class, who looks really all formal, agreed to play the role of Da Ming Shoes and even did that "Oh Baby Baby" dance. PLUS! Get this: He was the only one who wore a WIG!!! ROTFL It would've shocked us even more if he wore a sleeveless shirt, but well, that's too much to ask. *winks* Overall, it was totally the best and totally hilarious!

After that, there was a presentation of the student council officers, the council committees, and organization of our college. The Third Year students also did a funny presentation. All of their boys (including my pseudo-crush *sheepish*) did a sort-of macho dance to that Masculados song (I don't know the title) and as an added joke, they each had a piece of pink paper which they covered their er, "pelvic area" (all of them were dressed, of course! LOL). To represent their class, a first year student sang an acapella rendition of Avril Lavigne's "Losing Grip". There were also 4 games:

Marshmallow-Eating contest - where a guy wears a necklace of marshmallows which their female partners try to consume in a certain span of time
Kalamansi Game - where the female tries to push up a kalamansi (small lemon) under their male partner's clothing
Talong race - where a talong (eggplant) is tied to a guy's waist and he uses this vegetable to push a kalamansi forward to the finish line
and Zipper Dance - a revision of the game Trip To Jerusalem, where the players dance and when the music stops, they will try to get hold of a chair to sit on, and the one who doesn't have a chair is out of the game. But in the Zipper Dance, the females will dance and when the music stops, they will try to get hold of the handle of the zipper of the males who are in the center. (I just remembered that there was a shortage of female players yesterday, and my classmates were volunteering ME to play in the game because my sempai was also part of the game. MY GOODNESS!!! ME + MY SEMPAI + MY SEMPAI's ZIPPER... *nosebleeds* I absolutely refused!!! But darn it all! *ecchi mode* That was already my chance! LOL)

What was also fun about the games was that the gamemaster (another classmate) was very funny. He dressed up as a magician and he talked very fast and pretended he was doing magic. After the whole program, there was a short disco for all, and so since I'm not into dancing, I decided to go out of the function room for a while to drink water. Then we all went home.

I was too poofed last night that I fell asleep on the FLOOR of my study room while writing in my notebook. And so I can say that an acquaintance party is too exhausting to organize. But if given the chance, I might volunteer to help out again. *smiles* After all, parties are great and they make fond memories to cherish and remember. And last night's party is definitely something unforgettable.

No comments: