Saturday, October 02, 2004

THE LUNAO ADVENTURE


"When you're not brave, then nothing can begin." -Sayama Shoko

Last Wednesday, our PCM instructor asked for volunteers for a medical mission. She was expecting only 10-15 students to join her team, but to her surprise, almost all of us wanted to go. BUT OF COURSE! The venue was in a town in Gingoog City, which is 2 hours+ away from where I live, and all expenses like fare and food are paid! So after negotiating the budget with our college student council, we were all approved to join the medical mission! ^o^

And so by 9pm last night, I was already asleep, and around 1230mn I woke up and couldn't sleep again. Actually, I had second thoughts of joining the medical mission because:
1. It would be my first time to join such an activity and I had no idea what it will be like,
2. I still have reports to make and books to read,
3. There would only be FOUR licensed doctors who will be going, and
4. I have no confidence in my skills and knowledge.

The fourth reason is the most important of all, cos until now, I still panic when I'm left with a patient. I know it's really embarrassing to admit such a thing, since I'm now in third year, but I'm just being honest with myself. And actually, much to my surprise, I learned that most of us in our class feel the same way too. I think it's because our first three years in med school are too academically-geared and so we lack hands-on experiences. After all, no lecture can ever compare with the actual practice. But still I wanted to join the activity because i know that it would be a venue to improve my skills and hone my "clinical eye". And so that explains why I couldn't sleep at all last night, because:
1. I was praying to God that He would just guide me and give me the wisdom that I so desperately need,
2. I was busy cramming and reviewing skills and info that I should've mastered by now, and
3. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to wake up and go to the meeting place by 5:30am (believe me, I sleep like a dead person x___X).

And so after such a hasty preparation, I went to join the medical mission in Lunao, Baybay, Gingoog City, with my instructor and her team, and 30 other classmates (the rest of the class decided not to join us >.<).

So how was it!? I must say that I ENJOYED IT A LOT!! ^o^ We worked in pairs and acted like we were "real" doctors. We made small talk with patients, examined them and prescribed medicines. Sometimes, when my partner is busy with one patient, I get to manage a patient all by myself! Of course it was really freaky, but as long as I have God (#1 de-su!), my "stocked" knowledge (which actually isn't enough.. ehek. x__X), my sense of humor (it helps a lot.. and yes, I can be really funny if I have to be *sheepish*) and most importantly, the "notes" we hastily made during the trip, then I feel that I'm just alright. Most cases were just pediatric patients with cough and colds, so there weren't really any problems (although we actually had some unusual cases today too, like tumor of the tongue, meningocoele, etc.). And the best part is, our subgroup was assigned under this certain doctor who is not only CHOKAKKOI!!!!, but also so mild-mannered and helpful and accomodating and so extra-nice... *grins from ear-to-ear* HE IS SO TOTALLY MY TYPE!! *ROTFL* Anyway, I doubt if I could see him ever again, and I don't think he even knows any of our names cos we weren't introduced, and I think he'll forget about us because we all look terrible with our dusty faces and hair from the long road trip, but what the heck, it really doesn't matter! ^o^ I learned a lot today, helped some people, saw a really good looking and smart guy who referred to us as "doctors" *beams with pride*, and just had a plain good time. And that is why, I am just so HAPPY!! ~totemo ureshiiiii de-su!~ (^o^)v

On our way back, we decided to take a detour and drop by one of the many great beaches/diving spots in the area so that some of my classmates who are from other cities can also see some great sites. Unfortunately, when our jeepney driver was speeding like crazy, my classmates' eyeglasses flew off from her hand and fell into some grassy area! We all tried to look for it, but we really didn't know where it fell off and since it was lightweight with no rims, then it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. After maybe 20 minutes of searching in vain, she decided to give it up since it was also getting late. I felt sad for her but we really couldn't do anything about it. Then, just when we were about to arrive at the popular beach resort, it started raining so hard and it got foggy. We prayed for a safe travel and praise God!, the rain slowed down after 10 minutes. Then during the travel, we unfortunately got to tail behind a smoke-belching lumber truck, and we had to inhale all those fumes. *makes face* And after we were able to overtake that truck, we had to tail behind another smoke-belching truck again! And since it was a long and winding road, we couldn't overtake the second truck and so we had to cover our faces for more than 10 minutes. YUCK. Anyway, it was still a long way and I was so tired I fell asleep. I actually didn't want to, because I KNOW some of my naughty classmates would take pictures of our sleeping faces with their cellphones or digital cam and would upload our horrible faces in the class computer! X__x But I couldn't help it, I was so tired. And true enough, they really took my picture! *makes face* But good thing it wasn't THAT bad. ^o^ Anyway, when I woke up, it was drizzling again, and my classmates were singing loudly to some Eraserheads songs and even changing the lyrics and then cracking jokes that made me laugh so hard till my tummy hurts! And it doesn't help that we're so cramped in the jeep! Hehehe Anyway, thank God we arrived safely in the city and had such a really fun time today. I wish we can have a similar activity again in the future. (And I hope the kakkoi doctor would join us too! LOL)

Anyway, I have to end here for now because:
1. I still have to wake up early for recollection tomorrow, and
2. I REALLY need to take a bath. I REALLY need to scrub off all these dust off my hair and skin!!! (^o^)v

No comments: