Tuesday, February 21, 2006

MOTHERS’ CLASS


Today, Bandoy and I were assigned to handle the mothers’ class in a secluded barangay in Balingasag. It was a bit freaky because there are approximately 80 mothers who attend the lectures, unlike in the Pabasa sessions in Lumbia where we handle only 10-12 mothers per lecture. Also, the classes here are conducted in a small chapel, and so it actually feels a bit like giving out a homily in a Sunday service, teehee. Thinking about this made me a bit nervous and worried as we went on the way to the area.

When we arrived there, however, I started to feel at ease. Even though the crowd was big, the mothers were very warm and friendly. Some were even openly grateful for our presence and our lectures. And the mothers were actually very attentive and participative. Bandoy talked (for 2 and ½ hours!) about First Aid, then we had free lunch with everyone, after which I did a brief but concise discussion (30 minutes only) about Otitis Externa and Media. After that we gave a quiz (which was so much fun!) and I was amazed that a number of the mothers got perfect scores and even got the bonus questions correctly. This could only mean either of two things:
#1.They are a smart group, or
#2.Bandoy and I are damn good lecturers! Hehehehe ^O^

The place was wondeful. The people were nice. And everyone learned something from us, and likewise, we also learned from them. I really had a very grand time today. I didn’t expect myself to enjoy this much, but I surprisingly did. ^O^ This is actually something that a doctor should must do to boost patient education. After all, the real meaning of being a “doctor” is actually to teach.

No comments: