Friday, July 04, 2008

TEMPLES OF KAMA SUTRA


Once, when I was on duty at the hospital, the ER nurse bought a DVD compilation of Discovery Channel shows. And for the lack of better things to do, we decided to play it on her laptop. One of the featured episodes was The Temples of Kama Sutra, and since that title was pretty eye-catching, so we decided to watch that first.



It was actually quite an interesting feature (as most Discovery Channel shows are) about a village in India called Khajuraho, most notable as a tourist destination for its beautiful temples. In fact, these group of monuments have been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Indeed, the skill and craftsmanship exhibited in constructing such detailed masterpieces make these temples truly impressive.




But what is perhaps most striking about these temples is that some of its external carvings depict erotic art. As the documentary narrates, these visuals never fail to surprise, embarrass or even arouse. But I don't think they're meant to be offensive or scandalous, but perhaps they depict the practices and beliefs of the people who made these. I guess there must be some kind of religious connotation to these images. Well, I'll just let the pictures do the talking. *winks* *winks*





Very interesting, don't you think? (^o~)


No comments: