Wednesday, April 23, 2003

BOOK REVIEW: THE ALCHEMIST


The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho, is a simple and inspiring story about finding your destiny. The book relates the adventures of a shepherd boy named Santiago, who sets out to find the treasure in his dreams, and eventually finds more than what he had sought for...

When I read this book, it took me quite some time to finish it, because i wanted to savor and "experience" every page (and also, I kept having the urge to reach for my pens and highlight the nice quotes, so I struggled with that too!). Well, what else can I say? It's an excellent book, which perfectly embodies the Piffle Princess Principle (or so I'd like to call it ^____^). As I believe, "everyone on earth has a treasure that awaits him..." (page 132). Each of us is meant to become someone greater, possess something special beyond our dreams, and yes, even meet someone extra-wonderful who will love us for the rest of our lives. *mush* And that's exactly what Santiago found in his search for his "treasure". He didn't just find something material, but he found a greater beauty and a deeper meaning to his existence. It was not an easy journey, and he was tempted to give up several times, but it was because he persevered and he believed that he was able to find the ultimate treasure in the end. And that is exactly what a Piffle Princess (err, in this case a Piffle Prince?) should be.

It's truly a superb book, one that you can read over and over again, and still discover so many new things! Other titles that fit in this kind of book category would perhaps be "Jonathan (^__^) Livingstone Seagull" and "The Little Prince", both of which I haven't actually purchased yet. *giggles* Anyway, the book speaks for itself, so I won't elaborate anymore. Discover its beauty, and its treasure, yourself! ~*

"And in that mood, he (Santiago) was grateful to be in love. When you are in love, things make even more sense, he thought." (page 101)

"One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving." ~ Fatima (page 123)

"It is we who nourish the Soul of the World, and the world we live in will be either better or worse, depending on whether we become better or worse. And that's when the power of love comes in. Because when we love, we always strive to become better than we are." ~ Santiago (page 152)

No comments: