Tuesday, May 06, 2003

ANIME REVIEW: ONEGAI TEACHER


Kusanagi Kei is just a normal high school student living in Hokkaido, Japan, until one night when he spots a UFO landing near his house. The next day, some strange things start to happen: his new teacher at school looks just like the girl he saw near the space ship, and when he gets home, he sees that she is also his new neighbor. From then on, things are never the same for Kei and his new teacher. (summary from Anime Academy)

At first look, i thought this was a very ecchi anime. The pictures in my anime dealer implied such. However, it was anything but that. Storywise, I can say that it was rather preposterous at first, but later on the real theme develops. I must say I was totally overwhelmed with the deep message of this anime, considering how I've been pondering lately of how to move on with my life. The characters were nice, although there really wasn't much development of each. Artwork was excellent, although I wish the teacher Mizuho was drawn more beautiful so that she could be more lovable. Music was OK - the first few notes of the opening theme reminds me of an Ayu song. *smiles* The low points for this anime - well, I thought it was TRYING TOO HARD to be ecchi, TRYING TOO HARD to be funny and TRYING TOO HARD to be romantic that it fails in accomplishing any of them. The plot could've been more improved, the characters more developed, so that the theme of the anime could make more impact. All in all, it was a nice anime. But I felt that that there was something lacking in it that would've made it so much more impressive.

No comments: