Tuesday, October 07, 2003

COMMUNITY WORK


Today was the first day of our community work at a nearby rural area called Bayanga. We expected to spend the whole day there -- doing height measurement, weighing and deworming of children -- but I guess there were just too many of us in our class and just a few kids who went, and so we were just able to finish the work in about 3 hours. Most of my classmates didn't want to stay long there. I don't know if it's because they didn't like being away from the city. (sad) Anyway, tomorrow, we go back to render the same services to kids in three more areas in Bayanga. If we finish early, then we'll proceed to a fourth area so that we won't have to go back on Thursday.

I think it's good that we get exposures like this. In our orientation yesterday, Father Balchan gave a talk about the role of education in shaping our social aspects. He said a lot of really good points, such as why we should consider our education as a privelege and in doing so, we should use it to contribute something that will make our society better. I think that really etched deep into me because I am learning that there is no meaning in our existence if we just live passively and do nothing significant. I mean, we have that potential to make a difference but if we don't use it to help society or if we just use it for our selfish gain, then wouldn't our lives be such a waste? Maybe that's being too idealistic since I guess the world today is very much focused on pleasing oneself, on gaining for one's selfish desires. That's quite sad, but quite true. (sad) But just because that is what's happening doesn't mean we should conform to it, ne? We have the right to choose, ne?

..................

Don't mind me. I just want to ramble. *___*

No comments: