My otaku-ness started around 1998, when I went into college. Perhaps it was the loneliness, or maybe the anger, or possibly the intense grief... (don’t bother asking for the cause)... that led me to it. I remember clearly that afternoon when I was randomly surfing through TV channels, and paused to watch the pretty animation in AXN. It was an episode of You’re Under Arrest. I don’t remember the episode number, but it was the part where Nakajima went all over the place to find a certain car part for Miyuki. It was a very sweet story so I started watching it everyday.
What started as an escape hole... became an obsession.
I watched the replays everyday. Then, I fell in love with Shouji Tokairin in episode 48. I was hooked.
I started watching the other animes in AXN.
Ghostsweeper Mikami.
Ninku.
Yamato Takeru.
Flame of Recca.
Grander Musashi.
I watched watched the replays of all these animes everyday. And there were more.
Fushigi Yuugi.
Rurouni Kenshin.
El Hazard.
Dual.
Cooking Master Boy.
I watched the reruns again and again.
I scheduled my classes based on the AXN anime schedule.
I would immediately rush home at 11:30, without even informing my friends. I must not miss even the opening song.
I would skip 7:30am classes and almost broke down our door to watch my favorite episode 48 of YUA. I and my classmates skipped our Math class to watch the final episode of Fushigi Yuugi.
The 6pm to 7pm TV slot was mine. Nobody dared to call out my name at this time. Not even my mom could ask me to do an errand for her.
I would lock my self in my room and cry wells of tears if I miss even a single anime episode.
I started exploring other channels for Japanese animes.
Ah My Goddess.
City Hunter.
Kakyusei.
Vandread.
Angelic Layer.
I learned how to use the internet. I downloaded pictures. I printed them out.
I filed them into a nice clear folder.
I brought the folder to school everyday.
I’d look at the pictures every night.
I bought a 3210 so that I can customize my ringtone to Fushigi Yuugi then to Rurouni Kenshin. I had an FY acetate attached to my LCD.
I memorized all 150 Pokemon characters.
I bought anime posters. Lots of anime posters.
I posted the posters on my walls until they looked like an anime store.
I talked to my posters when I was bored.
I joined the AXN Forum.
I met Ipis-sama (who will forever and ever and ever have my utmost gratitude).
I was introduced to Anime Illusions.
I met SyiveSe. I met Trina. I met many new friends.
I received unexpected gifts from them. Wonderful presents.
I started taping anime episodes. I started a collection.
I kept collecting and collecting and collecting...
...I wanted more and more and more...
...and until now I am still collecting. I still want more.
I did not choose to be an otaku. I just became one.
And I’ve changed a lot since then. Since the day I turned to anime to wash away my loneliness, my anger, my grief.
Teehee. ^o^ I don’t know what got into me. I became nostalgic all of a sudden and started typing crazy memories from the past. Hehe But believe it or not, these were actually true. I did schedule my classes based on the AXN anime sked, and I’ve really shed tears for missed anime episodes. I was crazy back then. Still crazy now. But not as obvious lah. LOL
But back then, I had a dream. I wanted to have my own anime store. I was going to call it The Anime Dojo, located in Limketkai Mall in front of the korean store (but that shop closed down already), and it would have wooden floors. It was going be the source for the latest manga, anime, music, and many other items. This dream, I guess, will forever remain a dream.
But back then, I also had another dream. There will be an anime group in CDO. We’ll call ourselves CDOtakus. I will be the leader of course. We will share our collections. We will hold mini-events. We will indulge in our common interest. We will ultimately organize an anime convention where we will have cosplays, exhibits, games, film showings, karaoke, drawing contests, and loads of fun. This dream remained a dream too.
Until Haku-sama texted.
And thus, CDOtakus was born.
I don’t really know if something big will come out from this. For now we’re just gathering members and forming new friendships. But a 2008 or a 2009 animecon is still the main goal.
Be part of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment