I'm rotating in Rehab Med now, and I am like an empty shell. Since I have zero background on Rehab Medicine, I don't know what to do. I don't know how to make a good history. I don't know how to use the goniometer and perform the PE and various what-the-heck-are-these tests of the spine and extremities. And I don't know how to diagnose the cases since I don't know what I'm dealing with in the first place. I can't even remember my anatomy. How pathetic. XD
I want to read something - anything! - just to help myself. Perhaps it's time to open Snell again. Rekindle the flames of an old "friend". XD XD
The good side of it all is that this is a relatively benign rotation. YEY! XD At the OPD, we see a maximum of two patients per intern everyday. Sometimes, if lucky, there will just be a few patients and some of us don't even have to do anything. The Rehab Ward is under renovation and is now relocated in Ward 12 along with other departments like Surgery and Neuro. We only have SIX beds. During ward duty, we don't do anything at all. You are considered lucky if you get to extract blood. So I guess I should count myself lucky, I got to extract blood for CBC last Monday and again this morning. XD I only go to a 24-hr duty ONCE in two weeks (YEY!). Overall, it's really quite a relaxing rotation, in comparison to the toxicities of the previous Internal Med rotation and the soon-to-come Surgery rotation.
I was browsing through a booklet called Physical Terrorism Manual (or something like that), a crash course on Physical Therapy, and I thought to myself, how can they actually STUDY and DO these stuffs?! XD I guess PT is difficult and it's not something I'd probably want to deal with. XD But going back to the problem(s) now, how do you compute the apparent leg length and the true leg length of a person who actually has no leg?! Do you even measure it? How do you know the true height of a person who was born lacking in height? How do you measure for the range of motion of body parts which are relatively immobile?! What are the criteria to diagnose autism? How do you do speech therapy? How do you do pulm and cardio rehab? How do I answer questions when I don't even know what I want to know in the first place!?
Gah. XD Tonight I will clean my bed and cabinet, wash my plates and clothes, and watch School Rumble.
Oh. Read Snell? When did I say that!? XD
No comments:
Post a Comment