Wednesday, February 07, 2007

ON BENIGN ROTATIONS AND BISHIES GALORE


I’ve just finished my two weeks rotation in Otorhinolaryngology (ORL) aka ENT (Eyes, Ears, Nose, Head and Neck Surgery). It was one of the rotations I actually liked when I was still a clerk, because I like suctioning out impacted cerumen (eew! XD) and removing foreign bodies from the nose. But now in internship, I realized that there is no way that I will tread that path and lead that kind of life. I have no plans of living the rest of my existence picking on the nose or poking people’s tonsils with the laryngeal mirror (that’s because, misakichan, you lack skill and that “delicate touch” – in short, you were born a brute with big and reckless hands XD). I applaud the department though for having a certain sense of discipline and order in their residency program. I think it would be nice to train in ORL residency in PGH, but I think I’ll pass. >.<

Now I’m in my first week in the Department of Ophthalmology, which in a sense, has a world of its own too. The practice is a skill and interest acquired only by a few gifted(?) individuals, unfortunately excluding me. XD It’s my third day and I still can’t get my fundoscopy right. *sigh* I remember my clerkship days when I suddenly (LOL) developed super fundoscopy powers, and I can see all of my patient’s maculae, cup-disc ratio and retinal arteries/veins. Well, those were the days of the past. The talent has long faded away, and I’m reduced to this inept intern forcefully (and awkwardly) shining the red light of the ophthalmoscope into my patients’ eyes. May the heavens have mercy on their poor souls eyes. XD

It’s a relatively benign rotation though, and we get to stay in Sentro Oftalmologico Jose Rizal (aka Sentro, aka Spain XD), that grand, circular, glass-encased building just a few meters away from my dorm. XD Since the building is new, we take joy in the coolness of the airconditioning system, the crispness of the facilities, the sparkle and shine of their hi-tech operating rooms and post-anesthesia care unit (PACU), etc etc. I was basking in the PACU yesterday, practically doing nothing the whole day, watching over non-toxic patients who were all hooked to cardiac monitors. It was extreme bliss, to actually monitor 3 beds without having to use my borrowed sphygmomanometer. XD

Well, since it’s a benign rotation, I figured it would be the best time to start studying already for the boards. I’ve even started reading PharmaKOWAI (roflmao!), I mean, Pharmacology yesterday (ngeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...!!!!! T.T) Every one of us is scared to our shitty pants thinking about the upcoming exam of our lives come August. I keep receiving text messages asking me where I’m going to review, how I’m going to review, and when I’m staring to review. The truth is: I HAVE NO IDEA. So please stop asking me! I’m as ignorant as everyone else. u__u

I do know one thing: Besides Hana Yori Dango season 2, perhaps the next most interesting j-dorama to download would be Nodame Cantabile. XD I’ve seen first two episodes of the anime. It’s sooooooooooo much fun! XD



But I have to seriously study already. No more time for my luvluv bishies. T.T

No comments: