SUGGESTED READING MATERIALS
My cousin's son, Shan, is a voracious reader, and probably reads faster and more avidly than me. I have mentioned in a previous blog entry that we exchanged some of our books. He immediately finished all of the novels I lent him, while I, until now, have finished only four of his books (blame in on the unlimited supply of patients! >__< but don't worry, I'll catch up!) I'm really quite excited that I share similar reading interests with my 10-year old nephew, and hence I've come up with a list of suggested reading materials, most of them of the fantasy/adventure genre, which my cousin might want to buy for her son (and which I can hopefully leech in the future XD). I haven't read any of these and chose these based on my own preferences, so I cannot assure anyone if these books are any good. But I provided links so you can check these titles out for yourselves.
by Cornelia Funke, author of the Inkworld series
by Jonathan Stroud, author of the Bartimaeus Trilogy
by Brandon Mull, author of the Fablehaven series
This is the first of three books.
by John Stephens
The first in the Books of Beginning trilogy.
by Suzanne Collins
I'm not sure if I should recommend this to my nephew, since it gives me the impression of a violent dystopian world akin to that of Battle Royale. And hence, I'm not sure if kids his age should read it. But among all these novels, this set has been particularly calling out to me very loudly for the past few months. I must admit that I've taken this box set several times near the cashier, but have always promptly stopped myself and returned it back to the shelf. Now, I've just borrowed a copy of this trilogy, and will try to read it soon. If at any point I will immensely enjoy reading this, I will buy a set for myself right away.
by Trenton Lee Stewart
Currently there are three books in the market:
01 - The Mysterious Benedict Society
02 - The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey
03 - The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma
by Christopher Paolini
The first book is the basis for the movie of the same title.
(And on a side note, was actually the first movie my boyfriend and I watched together on a date. XD)
This was initially a trilogy, but the author decided to publish a fourth book, set to be released November 2011.
01- Eragon // 02 - Eldest // 03 - Brisinger // 04 - Inheritance
by Michael Scott
This is a series of six fantasy novels, five of which are already published.
01 - The Alchemyst // 02 - The Magician // 03 - The Sorceress
04 - The Necromancer // 05 - The Warlock // 06 - The Enchantress (May 2012)
Septimus Heap Series
by Angie Sage
I'm not quite sure how many books there are in this series, but currently there's already six of them out in bookstores.
01 - Magyk // 02 - Flyte // 03 - Physik
04 - Queste // 05 - Syren // 06 - Darke
Actually I have some other titles in mind, but these are my choice picks for now. I would buy these myself I have the funds, and "another" bookshelf (since the recent one I bought is already overflowing >__<). But for now, I have decided that it's impractical cos I need to save money and our current apartment is too cramped. Also, an important factor is that I'm busy with work yet I hoard too much, so most likely I won't have the time to read these anyway. So if other people can buy these and will just let me borrow, then I think that would help me a lot. ^_______^








No comments:
Post a Comment