MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR!
A few months back, I have mentioned several books titles I've been wanting to read, and one of them was the young adult post-apocalyptic trilogy, THE HUNGER GAMES, by Suzanne Collins. I have been compelled to buy the set several times, yet I always change my mind when I reach the cashier (mostly out of fear of being disappointed, and out of fear of my growing collection of unread books). Fortunately, a friend lent me her copy last July, and so I had the opportunity to read and experience it.
My initial opinion of the plot -- a group of teenagers in a dystopic setting forced to fight each other to the death -- is that it is nothing new. If you are familiar with the controversial Japanese pulp classic Battle Royale by Takami Koushun, then you'd be quick to say that HG is a rip-off. This further piqued my curiosity and interest, as I wanted to see for myself how similar or different the stories are. And I guess I can safely say that although the main concept might be alike, but the society they live in, the culture and mentality that they have, and the execution of the storylines are quite different, so it would be fair if we should just stop comparing them and see them both as independent works.
That aside and going back to my Hunger Games reading experience... The trilogy consists of The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. Maybe because of the hype and my high expectations, but I actually ended up having mixed opinions about it. I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. For one thing, although the main characters -- the protagonist Katniss Everdeen and her two love interests, Gale Hawthorne and Peeta Mellark -- all have their strong traits, yet I just couldn't bring myself to like any of them (although if I must choose, I'll be in Team Gale! XD). It's not that I don't like romance in my novels. As a matter of fact, I relish it! But somehow, I find the romantic development in their dog-eat-dog world a bit... off. Their situation and their personalities are too psycho and bitter to actually make me feel "kilig". I find Katniss quite indifferent yet very fickle with her emotions, very much like Bella flitting between Edward and Jacob, so I didn't like that one bit. (Although yes, you may easily argue that she acts that way because the situation calls for it, and I can understand that. But it still doesn't bring her close to my heart XD). Then there are some supporting characters who seemingly have great potentials to become more than they are, but they get killed. (Yes, I know it is expected since they are jut ordinary kids, but I just couldn't help but feel grumpy over it). There are also certain twists in the plot which I didn't particularly like, not because they were unhappy, but just because they are just conveniently there, if you know what I mean. No, you don't, cos I don't either. >__< Well, let's just leave it at that cos I don't know how to expound on this and further writing only brings more confusion. ^w^
I do admit that it had enough combination of angst and thrill to hold my attention for several days, and so I was quick to finish the books. One thing I realized about the HG trilogy is that it is not to be judged as individual books, but to be seen and read as a continuing series of events. I was honestly quite disappointed with the first book, but the pace for me picked up in Catching Fire when I realized that the first part was only the tip of an iceberg and there is more to the story than I initially thought. I like how the nation of Panem was envisioned by the author, with its own rich history, government, structure and culture, however sick and distorted it may be. I like how the capitol and districts have been organized, and how they set-up the games. Face it, I'm such a sucker for alternate societies/settings like this so I easily take a fancy on such stuffs. Overall, it was an entertaining read for me. But, like the Twilight series, I wouldn't think of reading it again, or buying my own copy.
BUT!!! I will definitely watch the upcoming movie adaptation set to be released on March 2012. I think this will be another young adult novel turned movie franchise that will spawn gadzillions of screaming fans and even more bickering haters. Watching the trailer doesn't particularly excite me, but like the books, it has piqued my curiosity and interest once again. Fans all over have gone in a frenzy agreeing or disagreeing over the choice of leads. I, however, have no particular preference or comment for the cast, except that maybe they are not who I exactly pictured in my mind. But as I have no particular fandom over Katniss, Peeta or Gale, so I don't really care. I did browse through the credentials of these actors, and they seem rather talented and suitable for the roles. Anyway, it is expected that novels brought to the big screens don't exactly come out the way everyone wants, so let's just wait, keep our minds open, and see the movie for ourselves.
That aside and going back to my Hunger Games reading experience... The trilogy consists of The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. Maybe because of the hype and my high expectations, but I actually ended up having mixed opinions about it. I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. For one thing, although the main characters -- the protagonist Katniss Everdeen and her two love interests, Gale Hawthorne and Peeta Mellark -- all have their strong traits, yet I just couldn't bring myself to like any of them (although if I must choose, I'll be in Team Gale! XD). It's not that I don't like romance in my novels. As a matter of fact, I relish it! But somehow, I find the romantic development in their dog-eat-dog world a bit... off. Their situation and their personalities are too psycho and bitter to actually make me feel "kilig". I find Katniss quite indifferent yet very fickle with her emotions, very much like Bella flitting between Edward and Jacob, so I didn't like that one bit. (Although yes, you may easily argue that she acts that way because the situation calls for it, and I can understand that. But it still doesn't bring her close to my heart XD). Then there are some supporting characters who seemingly have great potentials to become more than they are, but they get killed. (Yes, I know it is expected since they are jut ordinary kids, but I just couldn't help but feel grumpy over it). There are also certain twists in the plot which I didn't particularly like, not because they were unhappy, but just because they are just conveniently there, if you know what I mean. No, you don't, cos I don't either. >__< Well, let's just leave it at that cos I don't know how to expound on this and further writing only brings more confusion. ^w^
I do admit that it had enough combination of angst and thrill to hold my attention for several days, and so I was quick to finish the books. One thing I realized about the HG trilogy is that it is not to be judged as individual books, but to be seen and read as a continuing series of events. I was honestly quite disappointed with the first book, but the pace for me picked up in Catching Fire when I realized that the first part was only the tip of an iceberg and there is more to the story than I initially thought. I like how the nation of Panem was envisioned by the author, with its own rich history, government, structure and culture, however sick and distorted it may be. I like how the capitol and districts have been organized, and how they set-up the games. Face it, I'm such a sucker for alternate societies/settings like this so I easily take a fancy on such stuffs. Overall, it was an entertaining read for me. But, like the Twilight series, I wouldn't think of reading it again, or buying my own copy.
BUT!!! I will definitely watch the upcoming movie adaptation set to be released on March 2012. I think this will be another young adult novel turned movie franchise that will spawn gadzillions of screaming fans and even more bickering haters. Watching the trailer doesn't particularly excite me, but like the books, it has piqued my curiosity and interest once again. Fans all over have gone in a frenzy agreeing or disagreeing over the choice of leads. I, however, have no particular preference or comment for the cast, except that maybe they are not who I exactly pictured in my mind. But as I have no particular fandom over Katniss, Peeta or Gale, so I don't really care. I did browse through the credentials of these actors, and they seem rather talented and suitable for the roles. Anyway, it is expected that novels brought to the big screens don't exactly come out the way everyone wants, so let's just wait, keep our minds open, and see the movie for ourselves.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

1 comment:
award for you http://howlnsoul.blogspot.com/2011/12/seven-is-lucky-number.html
XD
i haven't read any book for ages T.T gaming eats up most of my time
Post a Comment