Wednesday, November 05, 2003

NOVEMBER 5


Sembreak is OVER. Classes has resumed and it feels as if we didn't have any break at all. And it turned out that PBL week is still next week. So it's regular classes for us this week. Feh. Gues I wouldn't be able to watch Matrix Revolutions till next week. Tsk. But actually, I'm going to be very serious in my studies now. I am reading my textbooks already and I want to make better notes. Oh.. *turns red* and I will stop doodling in class. ^__^

Earlier, while I was washing dishes, I realized that today is November 5. A few years ago, this day meant a lot to us -- it was my Sa-ko's birthday (Sa-ko is third aunt from the paternal side). And usually we would give her a call to greet her. And she would usually apologize because she hasn't sent us any bisquits or delicacies from Iloilo. And we would smile and tell her that it's OK, that she really doesn't have to do that. Thinking about it now kinda brings tears to my eyes.

She used to live next door to us. My mom related to me that when I was still a baby, my parents would leave me with her whenever they would watch movies. And as I grew up, I (and even my sister) would often go to their house to play. Then she went back to Iloilo to take care of my Am-mah (paternal grandmother). But even when she was far from us, she always sent us food and gifts and all sorts of things. Whenever I went there for a visit, she would take me to the market, to the mall, to her friends, and even to Tagalog movies. *laughs* I remember we even ate cakes at this yummy cafe. She would give us some money and she would tell my Am-mah and my A-cheks (uncles) to give us some money too. She would buy shirts and school shoes for us. She also made sure that we slept comfortably and ate well during our vacations there. She was an angel.

And her generosity and goodness wasn't only for the family. She was like that to everyone. She knows a lot of people -- salesclerks at the pharmacy, security guards at the pier, vendors at the market, etc etc -- because everyone was a "migo" and "miga" to her (migo and miga means "friend" in Ilonggo). She would give them T-shirts and calendars during Christmas, and whenever she could visit them, she buys them food. And she would chat with them as if they have been best friends since time immemorial. Everyone who knew her loved her, because she was kind and sincere and caring and generous. And she gave without ever asking for anything in return. Someone once cross-stitched a decor for her which said, "You have a Heart of Gold", and it's true. She was truly an angel.

Then one questions why God sends trials and sufferings to good people like her. Five years ago, she was suddenly diagnosed with breast cancer. My relatives did everything they can to help her fight the battle. She underwent chemotherapy and other stuffs, had lots of medications and support, and of course we prayed. We prayed hard that God will not take away the angel he has sent for our family. But we really do not have any right to question God's plans and purpose. She went into a coma eventually. We called our relatives who were with her at the hospital, and they held the cellphone to her ear, and we took turns to say our farewell to her. When it was my turn, I just held on to the phone, I couldn't speak at all. What could I possibly say?! A few days after, she left us for a better place - to join our Lord in heaven. She's the second of my paternal aunties to have died from cancer.

I don't know why I really wanted to write about this. It's embarrassing actually that I'm here at the cafe and I'm trying to suppress and hide the tears that are forming at the corners of my eyes. *sheepish* But maybe, all I want to say is that I have never really forgotten my Sa-ko, and will never forget her even if she is no longer with us physically. She will always remain in our thoughts and in our hearts. She will always be remembered.

No comments: