FRIDAY, Sep 9 : The Japanese Encounter
My status is "previously from duty" (aka "previous"). Fortunately, I don't have OR scheduled, although I assisted in one the day before - partial glossectomy with supra-omohyoid neck dissection - on a patient with squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue. It was my first OR in ENT and it was also the first time I saw a towel clip used on the tongue. It still looked painful even though the patient was under general anesthesia. I wonder how he felt when he woke up. No particular interesting cases seen in OPD. Just the usual impacted cerumen and otitis externa.
Pchan texted that she was coming over that night, with her Japanese friend. No matter what I tell Pchan, she kept insisting that she will bring her Jap friend to MY HOUSE, to MY ROOM, so that he can see MY COLLECTIONS. I tried to argue that her friend is male, and my room is a mess, and it would be better if we would just eat outside. But Pchan is deaf to reasons, so I had no choice but to give in. Perhaps the fact that we're also both broke and can't afford to eat out also helped me with my decision.
I had to take a quick bath before their arrival because I smelled like otitis media. LOL Anyway, they arrived around 930pm. I knew I was supposed to say something like "Hajimemashite!Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!" and usher them in with a word like "Dozo" or "Irrashaimase!", but this poor little girl just smiled blankly at them as she pointed them towards their seats. LOL What a time to actually lose my sense of speech. We talked for a while and did some introductions. His name was Saito Kazuya, 100% authentic Japanese from Tokyo, 21 y/o, male, business student from Soka Gakkai, presently studying here for a year as part of his educational course. He was no Kimura Takuya, but he didn't look bad either (I was actually expecting him to look bad, nyahahaha). Just very typical japanese features with heavy japanese accent in his speech. Surprisingly, he spoke relatively good Visayan, for someone who has only been here for four months. My mother talked and joked with him cos my mother is just like that, so friendly and talkative and funny. LOL We ate for a while, then I brought them up to my room (which I had hurriedly cleaned up), and while Pchan was playing around with my guitar and acting oh-so-Kitchie-Nadal (LOLz @ Pchan ^___^), I was busy racking up my brains trying to converse with Kazuya. I showed him some of my CDs, manga, and of course he easily noticed the anime posters on my walls. I just smiled, feeling slightly embarrassed that my room looked more like a store. [sheepish] We talked some more, and he ended up borrowing my L'arc~en~ciel and Morning Musume DVDs. I had to let him borrow, because it was a polite thing to do. But of course, I told him that he MUST protect it with his life and MUST return it at all cost, or else... (tee-hee ^.^) It was nice meeting him, and I hope the next time we meet, I could say more Japanese phrases and learn more from him. But I don't know though if I can meet him again.
Then I fell asleep while watching Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi (One Billion Stars Falling From The Sky)... XD XD
SATURDAY, Sep 10 : Strolling Around
Woke up around 930am. It was my day off and Hya and I were supposed to go to the hospital to work on our medical records, but because we're just not morning persons, we ended up cancelling that plan. Instead, in the afternoon, we went to have our graduation pictures taken for the yearbook. Some Avon girls even put on make-up for us. I didn't really like how my picture turned out, it was a bit "un-me", so serious and so "old-looking", but I was too lazy to voice out that I didn't like it very much. Besides, if that's really my face then I really can't do anything about it, can I? LOL
It was raining very hard but off we went to Gaisano to eat (again!) at Lighthouse. Then braving through the heavy rains, we went to our dressmaker in Carmen because Hya wanted to have 2 more uniforms made. It was around 6 plus already, and the rain was still pouring, but we still insisted on going to SM to find The Chronicles of Narnia, which unfortunately, was out of stock as well. Hya ended up buying The Expanded Medicine Blue Book (nyahahaha.. so opposite of what we were planning to buy) and a Christian book called When God Writes Your Love Story, which I have already read a few years ago (the book review is somewhere in the archives...). I bought The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and The Turn of The Screw, because they were on sale. LOL Then we went home. Then I fell asleep again, tired after a whole day of strolling around.
SUNDAY, Sep 11 : Hero
Hya and I are on 24-duty this day, so we had to report to the hospital by 8am. Hya had breakfast while I had a banana, and by 9am, we have set up her laptop, all ready to watch 11 episodes of Kimura Takuya in HERO. Unfortunately, my plan of finishing half of the series by morning didn't turn out very well, since we had so many patients knocking on the office door every now and then. It was already around 1130am, and yet we only watched around 23 minutes of the first disc! u.u We managed to finish the first episode, and then had our lunch.
We went back to the office to continue on with our KimuTaku frenzy (he's just so cute!!), and although we still had lots of patients (and I even had to suture several of them in the ER.. XD) but we were able to watch more CDs in the afternoon. Around 3pm, we actually went to the store in front of the hospital to buy donuts and hard-boiled eggs (LOL!) In Hero, the characters were always eating, so Hya and I were also tempted to eat as well.. T.T Anyway, around 8pm, we left for dinner and came back an hour later. Saw 1-2 patients, then had a relatively peaceful night watching some more CDs. I would have preferred that we finish the series but we were only able to watch until episode 8 because we were sleepy already. Besides, we still have morning endorsements. We decided to save the rest of the episodes for our next duty ^.^
I had to suture 4 patients - on the chin, posterior ear, helix of ear and lower lip - and had to remove some foreign bodies (e.g. piece of crayon in a little girl's nose XD). Saw a total of around 13 patients for ENT and more than 5 patients for Ophtha. That's already TOO BUSY for a Sunday duty. [sigh] But then that is to be expected when you schedule two toxic clerks in one duty.
MONDAY, Sep 12 : Operating Room
There was supposed to be a nationwide transport strike, but there seemed to be no difference in the number of public utility vehicles in the city. I guess times are hard now and even motorela drivers can't afford to give up one day of income. Anyway, I spent the whole day in the operating room, and although I love the OR, but I was really feeling particularly sleepy (blame it on the CDs, LOL) so I was really not in the mood to assist. First case was a total thyroidectomy with selective neck dissection on a 23 y/o female with papillary carcinoma of the thryoid gland. It took about 4 hours to finish the operation, because the anatomy was already such a mess with all those gigantic lymph nodes that kept reminding me of durian. XD The second case followed, an open reduction with internal fixation of a mandibular fracture. This one I found quite interesting because we actually had to screw the broken bones together. It was already 430pm when I left the OR. Went home. Watched Sora Kara. Fell asleep. Woke up.
Now I'm blogging about my life. After this, I will have to finish my powerpoint presentation for this afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment