We were excused from our hospital duties today because we had to attend the opening ceremonies for Med Days. It has always been tradition to start the celebration with a mass and a motorcade, but I didn’t join both because I woke up late [sheepish ^.^] . I immediately proceeded to the canteen for the brunch (which was one of the best highlights of the day, hehehe). As I sat down to take my meal, I saw a back view of someone familiar, But since I wasn’t wearing my glasses and my vision was blurry, I thought, “Nah… it’s impossible!” So I just and ate my food and chatted with my friends, who were just as happy as I was to be away from the hospital for even one morning. I went with Bandoy for a while to the Covered Courts to cheer for the College of Medicine teams playing badminton and volleyball for the intramurals, but I guess it is to be expected that we would lose most of the games, since our teams don’t really have that much time to practice. I went back again to the canteen because Hya was late and wanted me to accompany her to take her meal. Then we went to the Little Theatre together for the opening program.
As we took our seats, I thought I saw that familiar person’s back again. I supposed that it was possible for him to be there, but I just didn’t want to get my hopes all up. Anyway, the program had already started – speech from our Dean, speech from Dr. Beltran, then the awarding of certificates of honor to the new batch of doctors who passed the medicine licensure exams last February and August. I saw several familiar faces – one was Mommy JJ, who was my PGI (post graduate intern) in OB-GYNE Department last April. She was one of the nice persons who taught me how to insert an IV cannula and a urinary catheter. ^.^ I feel happy that she has made it, and also delighted that she’s pregnant with her second child. I wanted to congratulate her, but I had a sudden attack of shyness seeing her with all her classmates. Anyway, as each of their names were called out, and as each of them stood up on stage (very respectably – looking very much like a doctor – in their formal wear), I looked hopefully that someday I would also get my turn. Then Doc Peralta called out the last name, and I was just stupefied. It was MY SEMPAI after all. (Yehey! ^________^) I never really expected him to come because he’s not from this city, but he came! He wore a casual shirt and khaki pants, and he actually gained some weight and some flab (hee-hee ^.^), BUT HE WAS STILL LOOKING SO CUTE AS EVER!! [beams with joy] Hya was elbowing me and telling me to look intently at him, for this might be my last chance of seeing him. As if I needed any more reminding as I was practically gawking at him and grinning happily from ear to ear! LOLz The program continued on with a speech from one of the new doctors, a speech from one of the parents, presentations from the freshmen, sophomores and juniors (none from us seniors because we weren’t informed), and ended with closing remarks from the PTA president.
Outside the Little Theatre, all of us senior clerks were bustling with happiness trying to catch up with the gossips from our friends. I was talking with Deziree, Hya, Bandoy and Shay-Shay when I caught a (really nice) view of MY SEMPAI conversing with his friends. He was only about 1 meter away from me, and as much as I wanted to grab him and hug him in my excitement, all I could only do was steal quick glances at him. And I SWEAR, I thought I saw him look several times in our direction. I have a bad feeling he probably knows about how I feel. Mommy JJ and Hanni both know about this, and they could’ve told him because they are friends, but I doubt they’d do something like that because it would just be too embarrassing for me! But then, also from the way my friends were elbowing me, pushing me in his direction, and Deziree saying loudly that I should just say congratulations or I might never get another chance, anyone would easily suspect that there’s something fishy going on. Actually, I really did want to talk to him, to tell him that I’m happy for him and his classmates, but I was too nervous to even think, much more construct words and utter them out of my mouth. We weren’t exactly friends in school, but we knew each other and talked several times before. He often smiled at me. But then he’s so friendly to other students and so popular among all the girls that I really don’t think of myself as more special than any of them. However, there is actually a very funny and sweet story behind our first encounter, and it is a memory that I will always treasure, and probably something he too will never forget. But that is a tale that I will just keep to myself for now [smiles with amusement]. Well, going back to my story, as he and his friends started to leave, Hya quickly seized my arm and said that it was time for us to go too. Their group unhurriedly walked in front of us, and Hya and I just enjoyed a really pleasant back view of him. I was once again reminiscent of the days when I used to follow him around like a stalker, hehehe Halfway to the gate, their group suddenly stopped and I was nearly THIS CLOSE to him, but in my agitation, I pulled Hya’s arm to the opposite direction and we walked AHEAD of them VERY SLOWLY. I could almost feel him behind me. Once again, I wondered if he knows or if he even noticed that I exist. Hya and I exited the school gate and when I turned my head to look back, I didn’t see him anymore. Hya was right. It was probably the very last time that I will see him. I could’ve said something to him, ANYTHING, yet I was just absurdly staring at his back, and letting the opportunity slip from my hands. As I went home, I felt a sense of regret and overwhelming sadness, but oddly, this was combined with a childlike giddiness and unfathomable bliss, and these positive emotions overpowered the negative sentiments. Foolish as I am, I guess I’m already contented with the fact that I saw him, and that I could walk behind him. After all, I’m a simple person who takes simple pleasures in life, and I am just plain grateful to God that I was given the chance to see MY SEMPAI again, even from his behind.
No comments:
Post a Comment