My korean penpal, Geum-sook, told me about a popular webtoon called PINK LADY, and even sent me a really nice postcard of it. Webtoons are korean webcomics that are found online, and unlike the traditional manwha which appear as black and white, these webtoons are in full color. These type of media are quite popular among netizens since they cover various genres and also invite comments and interactions from the readers.
Now going back to PINK LADY... I finally had the chance to browse through it today, and although I could not understand a thing, but I was left breathless with its magnificent artwork. The artist, Yeon Woo, is a college student affiliated with the most famous art university in South Korea, Hongik University, and this is also where the story takes place. Yeon Woo uses beautiful brush strokes to draw her characters and to convey their different emotions and experiences.
PINK LADY is about two art students, Han Gyeo-wul and Yun Hyeon-seok who meet accidentally in the university. They didn't know each other at first, but I think Gyeo-wul somehow felt a strange attraction to Hyeon-seok (maybe she found him mysterious?). I'm not so sure because I cannot understand what they are saying at all, but if I were in her shoes I'd probably feel that way!
We later learn that they actually have a childhood memory from the past. When they were still kids, Gyeo-wul saw a little boy (Hyeon-seok) drawing in the sand in the playground, and she joined him and lent him her drawing book and coloring materials. They met everyday thereafter, and you can see that the little Gyeo-wul seems to bully little Hyeon-seok around. Hehehehe So cute! Anyway, one time while they were drawing, Hyeon-seok suddenly kissed her on her cheek, and she responded by punching him so hard that his nose bled. She then ran home in shock. The next day when she went to the playground, Hyeon-seok was no longer there, and they did not even get the chance to say goodbye.
Now years later, they meet again in the university. And through the many experiences they have, friends they meet and the constant bickering that they do, their tale of love begins.
The story spans 5 seasons, composing of around 15 pages per season. You can read it H E R E.I'm currently browsing over season 2, just admiring the pretty drawings and not understanding a thing. LOL But despite the fact that I don't understand their conversations, I can at least get a good idea of what's happening by looking at the pictures. I hope some nice people will take the time to translate this great series. Or since it's currently being compiled into manwha volumes then maybe I will just have to wait for the scanlations (and when will that ever happen!? T___T). I also have a feeling that this has a great potential to spawn a TV drama series (that would be really cool!). 2008's SBS drama, I Love You starring Ahn Jae Wook was also based on a webtoon. And with its very high ratings, praises and fans, I don't see any reason why Pink Lady shouldn't also follow suit as well. Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope we'll see more of this in the future.
Anyway, to wrap this entry up, I'm posting the two music videos that were made for Pink Lady. The first is You, You At Least by To Romance and shows some panels from the first season describing their childhood love. The second video is Spring After Winter by Soo Jung, and shows the last part of season 2. I really like these videos, especially the second. It brought tears to my eyes and I felt warm and fuzzy all over. XD
No comments:
Post a Comment