Yesterday I mentioned that I was going to blog about the reason why I'm back home earlier than expected from my work in Talakag, Bukidnon. But before we go into that, let me just recount what happened to me there...
Earlier this month, Doc Geng, who is one of my co-residents in MPGH, asked me if I was willing to work for ten days in a primary hospital in Talakag because his co-resident there needs a reliever to cover for him. I am usually skeptical about relieving in hospitals I've never been to, since it would mean adjusting to the system and to the people there. But since it's just a small hospital (with only 10-bed capacity) located just 45 minutes away from the city, plus the pay is really quite good, so I decided to take the job. So, with my HUGE traveling bag, I was off last Tuesday (April 21) for ten straight days of duty in Bukidnon Provincial Hospital - Talakag.
The ride from the city to the hospital was smooth and fast, and before I knew it, I was already inside the institution. Nothing fancy about it, I thought the building could use some renovating. But I thought the general countryside feel of the entire area seemed pretty nice. It kinda reminded me of my past work in Libona, Bukidnon, far from the normal hustle-bustle of city life. The air was a lot cooler than here in CDO, which was a bit of a relief, since the summer heat here is just plain killing me.

Well anyway, Doc Geng was still there when I arrived and he showed me around and endorsed some stuffs to me. The quarters was a bit cramped and the ventilation was not so good. The CR was also not the best kind in town. But since I'm not very picky anyway, so I thought it was otherwise habitable with just a bit of rearranging. Before he left, Doc Geng was kind enough to provide me some fresh bedsheets (which I quite liked) and a big bottle of distilled water for my consumption.
My first day was actually quite fascinating. Besides being able to see several patients and treat them clinically without any supporting lab results, I was also able to do a normal delivery and repair of episiotomy, and also did an excision of sebaceous cyst. I was a bit nervous doing it all by myself since it's been a long time since I've done unsupervised procedures. But I guess all those training during clerkship and internship paid off. On my first night I was already in bed by 8pm. And I woke up 6am the next day without any sleep disturbances. Hehehe
My second day was a bit similar to the first, except that I had a case of incomplete abortion (where I had to pull out the fetus already hanging from the vaginal os). The nurses asked me if I'd like to perform completion currettage, and although I've tried it before during clerkship and pre-residency, but I have a feeling that I'm not ready to do it so I declined. I just referred the patient to CDO. I also excised another sebaceous cyst in the afternoon. I was hoping I'd get a chance to circumcise, but sadly, no one came. My second night wasn't as uneventful as the first, since I think there were about 4 admissions, but still benign compared to anywhere else.
On my third day, after I had my breakfast and morning rounds, I immediately proceeded to the ER to see my OPD patients. I was surprised to see that a pile of charts were already on my table. Apparently, the doctor in the Philhealth Station took a leave of absence for that day, so all their patients were referred to the hospital. I felt a bit annoyed deep down because I felt that it wasn't part of my job anymore. But still I had no choice, so I just kept it all in and started calling the names.
By around 9-ish am, I was surprised to see Dr Y, who was the doctor that I was relieving. He asked me if I could spare some time cos he wanted to speak to me. Since he was holding an envelope, I thought that maybe he was going to give me my salary and so I was a bit excited. He did hand me some money but I was wrong to think that it was my entire salary. Imagine my surprise when he said that he was mistaken to have thought that non-regulars could go on duty as relievers. He said that it is apparently not allowed and so I will just get paid for the two days that I've worked and that I can go home already. I swallowed really hard, flashed a smile, and thanked him. Then I stuffed all my things in my bag and went on my way. As I was going out, someone told me that Dr Y was headed for CDO, so I could hitch a ride with him. So I did, and I was home by 12 noon. And I guess that explains the whole thing.
Sounds pretty simple right? But if I have written this entry three days ago, you'd probably be reading something that would involve a lot of cussing and frustrated grumbling (and maybe some yelling...). Because that was exactly how I felt that time. I was very very furious deep down because I felt really embarrassed as I was leaving. I felt like people were looking at me curiously, wondering why at one moment I was still their ER physician, and the next minute I was already packed to go home. I thought of the money that was given to me, and compared it to the money that I was supposed to receive by the end of the ten days, and it made me even angrier. I did not follow-up my application to Camiguin, and turned down another similar job offer in Don Carlos because I have committed to this. And yet, I found myself jobless after two days. I felt like I've wasted so much of my time and efforts, and that everything seemed like a big joke on me. I was so so so so frustrated then, and so that's why I opted to just hush about it at first, and just share it right now after I have already calmed down.
Well, that's all in the past now and I just really want to drop the whole sad memory so let's just end it at that. I'm still glad I got the rest of the days off so I was able to meet Hya and Shay. I also have the time now to clean my room, watch my DVDs and maybe meet up with Yume and Joey. I am thankful that I have time in my hands now, but I'm still very dismayed over this unexpected turn of events.
No comments:
Post a Comment