Saturday, May 02, 2009

A "CLEAR" DVD COPY


I was doing CD-rearranging (part2), and while sorting through my Asian Movies Collection, I was shocked to discover something...

So this is my copy of the korean war movie Silmido, proudly purchased from the Pirates of the Caribean Divisoria.
I got this almost 5 years ago but still haven't it watched yet...



And when I flipped it...


I noticed that the entire surface has turned completely transparent!!!


Maybe it's not so evident in the photo, but the entire DVD looked like clear plastic. (Or those priority numbers they hand-out in CDR-King...). The gray part you see is actually already the backside of the label of the DVD!

I immediately removed all the DVDs in the case and flipped them over. Most of them were still in good condition, but I noticed four others which were not so fortunate: My Boyfriend is Type B, Marrying The Mafia, Spinkick, and Turn Left Turn Right.
I wanted to cry, especially when I saw that Turn Left Turn Right was also affected. It is one of my most favorite movies. How can I ever find another replacement!?! T___T


See, when I hold it up against the light, I can already see through the cover!! :(


I have no choice but to throw them away. Actually my friend, Gervie, told me of a similar incident about his DVDs turning transparent. I could hardly believe him because it sounded so ridiculous and funny. Now, I don't think it's funny at all... *cries!*

Actually I had to throw out a whole bunch of anime VCDs too because they are no longer playing... I don't know why...



So that's Ai Yori Aoshi (8 discs), Love Hina (9 discs) and Slam Dunk OVAs (4 discs). It's a bit hard to let go because when I bought these six years ago, they cost around 90 per disc! And I had to beg friends during the Christmas Party to give me one or two discs as gift until I was able to complete the series. But I guess the CD used was of poor quality, cos I can't play them anymore!!!

I wonder how many of my other CDs are no longer working properly as well. I haven't even watched so many of my video collection, especially the dramas, so I can't imagine how I would feel if one day when I finally decide to watch them, I find out that they're no longer working! *knocks on wood* Actually, presently, I'm converting or re-downloading some of my stuffs into data files and burning them into DVDs. It's less bulky but it's also time consuming and expensive, so I decided not to be too meticulous and serious about it.

Sometimes, I wonder if I can just give my fandom all up, and not buy/borrow/download/watch any more animes and dramas. I think to myself, what is the purpose of hoarding all these... they are just materialistic, worldly objects occupying my space and taking up too much of my time and my life. But I can't seem to stop hoarding. It has become a disease.


No comments: