Monday, September 28, 2009

A FLOOD OF REALITY



I turned on the TV, and immediately wished I hadn’t.

I’ve been out of touch from the world for the weekend, preferring to watch DVD movies instead of TV programs. Although I have heard of some stories and reports of how Typhoon Ondoy has wrecked damage to our country during its passage, but nothing could exactly prepare me for the visuals.




Too shocked to move and too numb to even reach for the remote control, I sat down helplessly in front of the TV, and watched the news.

It’s beyond words.

Seeing hungry families stranded in their roofs, cars and houses damaged and overturned, and the vivid image of people riding atop a sheet of metal literally surfing the waves of flood, I am at a loss of what to say. I saw the bridge of Marikina and remembered the time I once passed by there while admiring their lifelike carabao effigies -- now the entire place is all muddy and indistinguishable. Even so much more distressing were the large number of corpses they have recovered, most of them dug up from the deep murky waters and mud, while others were just haplessly strewn on trees and other structures. It’s like watching a movie gone disastrously wrong.

Our city was not struck that much by Typhoon Ondoy, but I still feel a bit uneasy. I’ve always thought that our city was impenetrable to natural calamities because of its geography, but it was only a few months ago when our rivers overflooded and wiped out houses and lives. And it would have been OK if I know my family is in a secure place, but we’ve just recently moved into our apartment, which does not exactly look like sturdiest place to live in. And right now, I’m in an island and so far away from home. I know my family's OK, but I still can’t help but feel a bit worried. I just have to entrust their safety in God’s loving hands.

And for the rest of the victims of Typhoon Ondoy, all I can do is PRAY, and hope that amidst this tragedy, they can find the courage and strength to rise up and move on.


No comments: