
Besides the tourist spots and recreation areas, Camiguin Island is widely known for its deliciously sweet lanzones. And during these months, the lanzones trees here are in full bloom.
Yet for me, I eat the fruit but I’ve never been that obsessive with lanzones. I think it tastes OK but is just too complicated to eat. I don’t like getting my hands wet with fruit sap, and also don’t like getting leftover peelings and seeds, hence classifying it as one of my not-so-favorite fruits. Sometimes patients give me lanzones, and I do accept their sincerity and generosity (since I never turn down gifts from patients), but I am quick to share the fruits with the hospital staff. Last month I brought home a whole box (around 20 kilos!) of lanzones for my family and friends. I didn’t eat a single fruit from the box, but everyone was so happy indulging themselves to their hearts' content. It would’ve been easy to place an order for another box this time, but I find it such a hassle to travel the seas with such a huge box with me (add to that my bulky luggage of clothes and my big bag of whatnots).
Anyway, this morning in the OPD clinic, we didn’t have that many patients. One of our OPD staffs, Mam Mimi, offered me a handful of lanzones from their place in Bura, and I immediately struggled to think of a means to give it away without hurting her feelings. Yesterday, a patient also gave me a clusterful, which I gave to my ER nurse. This time, I wasn’t planning to eat it again. But since I didn’t have much to do anyway, so I decided to try eating it just so she can see that I appreciated her gift. However, the first bite was unbelievably soOOooOoOooOoOoooo sweet that I couldn’t help but eat ALL of the lanzones by myself! I crushed and peeled and ate, crushed and peeled and ate, crushed and peeled and ate, until there were no more left. I think it was around half a kilo. Maybe more. Hehehe. I was so stuffed that I could hardly eat my lunch anymore (not that it was anything special XD). I feel ridiculous right now because everyone here somehow knows that I’m not really into lanzones, yet I ate so much. It’s like putting my foot in my mouth (only it was something much sweeter and tasteful XD).
Well, I feel happy and full now and I guess that’s what’s important. ^_____^
No comments:
Post a Comment