Saturday, September 26, 2009

TILL DEBT DO US PART



One of the things I’m really good at remembering are DEBTS. Somehow, I just cannot fail to forget who borrowed money from me, and how much money I’ve borrowed from someone else. I guess it’s because when you owe money it involves concepts like RESPONSIBILITY and OBLIGATION. It is like making a PROMISE, and keeping it, and I am not one to turn my back on my word. And I also expect others to do their part.

But more often than not, debtors tend to sway away from you when the time has come for collecting their dues. They make excuses, attempts to postpone the date, or somehow just disappear from the face of the earth. Some even have the nerve to conveniently forget about it. And ironically, with our Filipino upbringing, it feels embarrassing to chase after these people. It takes a lot of courage to bring up stuffs like this, especially when the due date has been pushed off so many times already. It’s also such an effort to run after these people. The tables have turned and instead of getting fulfillment from helping someone in need, you end up frustrated and remorseful for having been duped.

In my workplace, there is a person who has a reputation for frequently borrowing money and not paying it. She’s also known to be irresponsible with funds and cannot liquidate expenses properly. But because she is a person of authority, she sometimes gets away with it. I have been warned by my co-employees several times not to fall into her evil scheming hands. But I didn’t expect it to happen to me.

Last Thursday, she came to me and asked if she could borrow PhP2000 from me because she needed to pay someone. She said the bank was offline that day so she can’t withdraw, but she will pay me the next day since it was salary day anyway. I twitched nervously, and with a poker face told her to just pay the person on Friday since she was getting her salary anyway, but she said the person needs the money immediately. She even added that it was embarrassing for her to approach me and it was her first time to do something like this. I almost rolled my eyes when she said that. I wanted to worm my way out of the situation but I can’t. She knew I had money at hand because I just received my salary, and she knew I still have my money because I don’t have the time to go to a bank. She looked at me self-assuredly and promises to return the money the next day. I had no way to go but to concede.

She was not here the next day cos she had to go to a seminar. She’s not here for the weekend because she doesn’t have work.

AAAAaaaAaaAAAAaRRRRrRrrRrrRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

So right now I’m sitting here feeling stupid, but I really can’t blame myself because I was trapped by her that time. I just hope and pray that come Monday, she will pay me at her own will and that I don’t have to run after her. But if ever she won’t pay up, I will definitely demand for my money. I am not going to feel embarrassed because that’s MY money and MY right. I will NOT be a victim.


No comments: