Tuesday, June 15, 2010


WAR OF THE GODS


I recently got interested in Norse Mythology because of two things:

Neil Gaiman's American Gods


and

Matantei Loki Ragnarok



American Gods is a novel that tells the tale of Shadow, an ex-con who was recently paroled and found himself working for the mysterious Mr Wednesday, and got caught in a war between the old gods and the modern day gods. I'm not very familiar with myths and legends from around the world, and I'm sure one who is well versed on this topic can further appreciate this bestselling novel. Despite my lack of knowledge, I still enjoyed reading about the characters and discovering their secrets as the story unfolded. I love the side stories inserted in between and the clever plot twist in the end. It is after all a Neil Gaiman novel, and you can't expect anything less from the master storyteller himself!

Now as I was finishing the book, for the lack of other useful things to do, I started watching Matantei Loki Ragnarok (aka Mythical Detective Loki). I thought it was the appropriate anime to watch at that time. I was impressed by the opening theme but was initially bored during the first few episodes. I grew up feeding on Nancy Drew books and immensely enjoy detective stories, but I just didn't quite get the hang of this anime. It was on episode 8 when I found out about the secret identity of Yamino-kun that I finally sat up and started taking interest on the crazy relationships between the characters. And then on episode 13, this guy came along...

... and my world changes... <3


Matantei Loki Ragnarok is the story of the trickster god Loki who was cast away from the realm of the gods and sent here on earth in a young boy's body. In order to go back, he has to collect evil auras, and so he opens a detective agency that deals with the paranormal. As the story progresses, more and more gods cross over to this world to stop Loki from achieving his goal.

Now I don't really have a thing for shotas, but characters with alter egos sometimes attract me (well, especially if the other side of the coin is a yummy bishounen *hearts!*). Loki (in shota form) somewhat reminds me of Niwa Daisuke from D.N.Angel and love of my life Li Shaoran from Card Captor Sakura. Most of the time Loki just appears in his kiddie form, but I really get excited over rare scenes where he gets to show us his charming, mischievous side, such as this...

<3 <3 <3!!!


The series ended at 26 episodes, and although I didn't really expect much from this anime, but I would have wanted more yummy-licious Loki. Hahay. Now I have to hit the books (and wikipedia) and do more readings on myths and stuffs, just so I'll be a little bit more wiseass than I was yesterday.

4 comments:

Crowned Princess Angelic Ninja Rebirth said...

weee~ i'm glad to see that you're finally starting on your backlogs. ang ako pud kay pirmi ko dungag ug download hehehe. Matantei Loki Ragnarok pud raba akong ginatanaw karon hehehe. :D

Anonymous said...

changed my blog url to http://howlnsoul.blogspot.com/. pa-relink na lang. thanks.


waaaaah! loki! sayang nga bitin siya. oh! you're reading neil gaiman too. na-read mo na good omens?

misakichan said...

@chi... yup, finished that one already. pro di ako masyado nag enjoy. XD

jan said...

kris..yang Loki meron nito sa tv5 before...kaya pala sya familiar sa akin nong ngbasa ako ng blog mo last tym...