Sunday, June 03, 2012

MY SUMMER KOMIKON EXPERIENCE

The Summer Komikon 2012  was scheduled on a Saturday, the 26th of May, hence I intentionally scheduled our family trip to Manila on that specific weekend. So while my Mom and sister were relaxing in a water spa, my boyfriend and I went geeking out in the Bayanihan Center, where the event was held. 

As we arrived at the parking area, a car also parked beside us. And when the door opened, my boyfriend and I were like, "zomBBQ! It's THE Budjette Tan!!!" He is the talented writer and creator for the comic series, Trese, which I also collect. I've met him before during the first Komikon I went to, which was on November of 2009, and he was really friendly and nice. Sadly, I wasn't able to bring my copy of Trese #4, so I wasn't able to have it signed. (・n・)

It was already around 11am when reached the venue, and to our utter dismay, there was already a long queue of people! Like the first Komikon we attended, our main objective was to obtain a copy of Sir Elmer Damaso's Cat's Trail Rewind. And we learned from his blog that he was only bringing 80 COPIES of issue #4! In my mind, I was already calculating, "If all these people each get a copy of CTR, then there won't be any copies left for us!!!" I'm sure Suoh was also thinking the same thing, but we tried not to panic as we paid for our way in. 


Freebies! -- A copy of the Komikon Journal, a Summer Komikon 2012 poster, and an FCBD (Free Comic Book Day) comic.

So the moment we set foot into the carpeted hall, I was mesmerized by the sights of manymanymanymanymany comics and the manymanymanymanymany people! I was about to reach for some stuffs when Suoh snapped me out of my trance, and reminded me of our primary goal. We immediately did a quick round searching for Sir Elmer's table, but we didn't find it!!! We must've gone around the place three times until final reaching a conclusion: either #1, CTR sold out in less than an hour and Sir Elmer went home already, and #2, that he has yet to arrive with his merchandise. And thank God #2 was the correct answer! After a few minutes, the emcee announced Sir Elmer's appearance, and we immediately rushed to his table.

DEJA VU. It's like a blast from the past while I stood in line for my turn.

We waited a bit for some fans to buy their copies, before we got our turn. His wife, Angel Mei, was also with him, and I was plain awestruck. They were really really really super nice and friendly, and were very simple and humble, and just so awesome!!! We got our copies of CTR #4 (and I also got extra copies for Hime, Shika, Don Vic and Gervie), and asked to have gadzillion copies of Culture Crash signed. Miss Angel Mei was so sweet and wonderful! Each time Sir Elmer finished signing an issue of CC, she'd gently blow on the ink so that it won't blot!(*´▽`*)After all the issues were signed and safely secured in my bag, it was then that Suoh introduced himself as one of the winners of Sir Elmer's contest, and he got a most remarkable, stupendous, superb, [ insert more superlatives here ] artwork from Sir Elmer as his prize!!!!

It was at that point that I truly, really, surely felt a most piercing pang of envy in my heart. So I think I really have to write about this here...
/start rant/  You see, Sir Elmer had a sort of "Who's that Pokemon?" guess-the-name-of-the-character contest in his blog. We weren't able to join in the first set, but luckily, there was a second batch. The first three to respond with the correct answer wins an artwork from Sir Elmer himself! Suoh called me up that night so that I could post my answer too and get a chance to win. That time I was feeling sick so I wasn't online, so it took a few minutes for me to turn on the PC and connect to the net. And those few precious minutes made the most drastic difference in my life! I was even joking to Suoh then that Rei might have also logged in within that time. And true enough, when the results were posted, Suoh got second place, Rei got third place, and I came up fourth -- only THREE MINUTES later than Rei!!! In a way, I was happy they were the winners since at least I know them and I got to see their prizes. Besides, although I have more than 20 OCs, but I only got to draw two(?) of them, so I probably won't know which character to request if ever I've won. So I guess I'm happy to be able to share their joy. And I hope to get my chance next time, and maybe by then, I'll have drawn profiles for my OCs. But still... THREE MINUTES!!! (* ̄m ̄) *cries*  /end rant/

OK.. So going back to the con. We took some pictures with Sir Elmer and Miss Angel Mei before we left. And since I'm feeling all nostalgic right now, I'll also post the 2009 pics here so you can play a little spot-the-difference game. Despite my jitters (cos I was really shaking there) and my bloopers (I recall saying a lot of things which made no sense!!), it was really a most wonderful pleasure meeting Sir Elmer and Miss Angel Mei again, and I just can't wait to tell all my friends about it! (*°∀°)


.
It was also in this table where Rei apparated out of nowhere and showed herself to us. Rei is a friend I know from online, and though we weren't that close back in our Anime Illusions forum days, but we suddenly became BFFs since the start of the year. This was our very first meeting, and since that will take a lot of time to explain, I will devote a whole blog entry for that after I wrap up this Komikon report.
(^v^) 


With Taga-ilog. Minus the bucket. ^u^;;
Next stop: since we were already lugging around our Culture Crash issues, we figured that we'll grab the chance to have them signed by Taga-ilog too. And so we went to his table, which to my surprise was actually the table of Point Zero comics, (and add to my surprise later on, was that the creator of Cresci Prophecies is actually his wife!!!). Suddenly, I became very very very shy, and FROZE stupidly in front of their table for probably more than two minutes. Suoh kept nudging me to talk, and I was like, "Ehehe.. They told me he ALWAYS had a bucket on. I actually believed that for more than ten years of my life!!!!" Then finally, I found myself in front of their table, and blurted out, "One of everything please." (For Pasig, I think I bought three copies! I really don't remember. \(◎o◎)/) And then we asked him to sign our Culture Crash copies. He was really nice too! But I was just so nervous and tongue-tied. And I didn't say anything to Miss Joanah Tinio-Calingo at all. So rude of me. *facepalm* I hope I can find a chance to redeem myself next time. By the way, all of their comics (Pasig, Kanto Inc, Curtains for Hire, and one one-shot) are fantastic!!! Kanto Inc was really funny, and Curtains for Hire got me crying. Next time I'll save money for Cresci Prophecies. 


After that, we went back to the Suoh's pick-up to hide safely store the Culture Crash copies. It was already getting heavy and quite bulky to lug around. I remember Suoh popping a question to me then, "I wonder what they feel when they see copies of Culture Crash. What do you think?" And I don't know where this came from, but I answered, "Maybe, it's like seeing your ex-girlfriend once more..." And we both became quiet and a bit sad as we pondered about it. Culture Crash, at the peak of its time, and for us still students back then, was THE local comic book to watch out for, and was a huge artistic inspiration that Yes!, da Filipino Ken!. And since I live far down south, it was a rare commodity. Even with its erratic publishing, the fandom was solid and strong. And up until now, I'm sure a lot of the CCCom fans would love to see it back in the market again. And if it means so much to us, I'm sure it means even much much more to its creators. Although it's sad that it's all in the past now, but still I am glad to have had that reading experience in my earlier years and to have the opportunity now to meet some of these amazing creators of CCCom and see them move on with their individual projects. 


(Left) Marco Dimaano and Kriss Sison signing our Ninja Girl Ko copies at the Gunship Revolution table.
(center) Mangas. Lots and lots of them. 0___0
(Right) Me with the happy Salmon Komiks tropa. It was nice to meet Nica the diva dubber again. ^^


Without our heavy bag, we went back to the con again, and this time went around the tables looking at the other indies and comics for sale. Some were familiar, but most of them I honestly do not recognize. But it really piqued my interest to know more about the Filipino artists and the local comic industry. I was so tempted to hoard and buy everything that appealed to me but due to my current jobless state the limited funds I had with me that time, I just chose to buy comics that I know. I got a copy of Ninja Girl Ko, all Oh-No Manga issues, and a Love Hina light novel. I also got a copy of Salmon Komiks #2, and met Nica the diva dubber again. (If you don't know Nica, she is the nameless dubbing contestant in this really old story and incidentally, that blog entry was what led us to know each other.Suoh bought some stuffs for himself too. We left the event to grab some lunch and have some bonding time with Rei (details in a separate blog entry), and although Suoh and I went back around 530pm, I guess we kinda missed out on a lot of things.


Like, we missed Sir Elmer's interview, didn't get to see Mark Millar, Dingdong Dantes and Lovi Poe, and lost the chance to participate in a hotdog-eating contest (I didn't know there was one, and being the hotdog lover that I am, I might have been convinced to join, hahahaha~!). I also failed to get Rei to introduce me to Enjelia and Sui. Looking back now, I regretted not buying some of the comics in the event. Skyworld was launched that day, and at that time I was thinking that I already had the previous indie(?) issues so I didn't check out their table anymore. I should have bought the new book versions back then and had them signed by the authors. There was also a table for Karen Francisco's Naermyth, and I didn't know she would be there to sign copies or else I would have brought my book along too. Even the comic adaptation of Tiktik: the Aswang Chronicles looked very interesting (and the movie trailer was quite a feast for the eyes). I can write on and on about other things I now regret not paying much attention to, but there really is no use crying (a week later) over spilled milk. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and pray that I can get a chance to attend the next Komikon again, and hopefully by then, have a better idea on what to watch out for, and also have moar monies to splurge(^◇^).  


So for now, here is a picture of my Summer Komikon haul!




It was truly a fun and memorable experience, and I hope I can attend future events like this with my other artist friends, like Gervie and Don Vic. 
I am also inspired to draw my own comic now, but the possibility of that becoming a reality is yet ... unforeseeable. ヽ(´ー`)┌



10 comments:

kurohiko said...

It's not unforeseeable I say!

I am a mushroom~ I pop out of nowhere then disappear out of nowhere too~ (~'.')~

misakichan said...

Mushrooms grow from dog's pee. XD;;;

Thoughts And Notions said...

Were there dc and marvel comics?

kurohiko said...

...THEY DO NOT. D: omg, are you telling me all those bell mushrooms I ate are... eeewwww.... >.<;;;

misakichan said...

@jasper > Yes. Some were even at half the usual price, I think. Or at least cheaper than the usual. I think there were also pre-loved comics for sale. And original comic boards.

@rei > mushrooms will never be the same again!!! :p

kurohiko said...

TAT;;; But I love my mushrooms, w-why... T_T;;; I'll make sure I rinse my shitake mushrooms very well before pan-frying them. T_T;;;

In other news, d'awww~ "pre-loved"~

misakichan said...

I love mushrooms too!

I also have mushroom OCs... XDXDXD

Anonymous said...

haven't read any of those ahaha. now i'm kinda interested XD

misakichan said...

Ang alin, Chi? local comics?
I didn't like them that much before, since some are in Filipino, and it's not my native language. But I'm starting to be interested in them now. :D

Anonymous said...

yep. ung mga old local comics binabasa ko nung bata ako. ung mga ngayon, wala pa ako na-try.